Families are Love

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Small thoughts of missing a brother.

It's been awhile, but today with how windy it is outside it made me remember something Michael asked the day after their birthday. Michael was wanting to make a deal. It's the sort that just tore at my heart strings. He came running out of our family room with all his birthday balloons and asked with this beautifully hopeful face if he could let them go up into the sky to go to Heavenly Father.

The weekend before we celebrated Mike and Maddie's Birthdays with the extended family. All the cousins and family drew (tried to) something on a balloon to send up to Josh for his birthday.(Thanks Megan for recording it) It was really neat, thanks everyone.

Anyway, I asked him why he wanted to do that and with such a bright face he explained (as best he could with his limited vocab.) that he thought Josh could come down and play if he sent his balloons up to Heavenly Father in the sky. Oh, how I wish it were that easy!

Mike as really taken this okay and adjusted well. He still misses him terribly some days, but reassures Steve and I that we will see Josh again when it's our turn to go up to Heavenly Father. We've been really blessed to have such a matter-of-fact kind of kid in our home. He brings us so much joy!

3 comments:

Nettie! said...

What a sweetheart! Give him an extra hug for us!

Thank goodness he has loving parents who teach the Gospel in his home so he knows he'll see him again.

Jennie said...

We all miss Josh. Even at our house, a day doesn't go by without one of the kids asking a deep, thoughtful questions about Josh and why he's not here anymore...it is great to know that we have the gospel to hold us together here after tragedies. We love you!

SJCBCfamily said...

That was such a sweet story, I got goose bumps all over. I'm sorry I missed you Mindy at Grandma and Grandpa's 60th wedding anniversary last month. I was looking forward to talking with you since I missed the funeral.
I'm really amazed at how well you've handled everything(at least that's how Steven has come across).
I'm sorry I don't see you much or have gotten to know you better, but I hope things are going good for you and your family.
What a sweet little boy you have. It's my loss I never got to know them.